Saturday, August 25, 2007

Summer sewing

Wow. What an absence. Sorry 'bout that!
Between hosting three different sets of family this week (including dinner for 12 one night) and having the contractor no-show on us to schedule the kitchen remodel, it's been a crazy busy week!

But that's not to say I haven't been sewing and teaching!
I'm wrapping up my teaching at Jo-Ann Fabrics for now. This shirt above is from Sewing II. I'm taking a break from teaching there during the fall and winter. For the student who called the store and specifically asked for a class from me, I'm so sorry to disappoint!

This week was full of birthdays, including a dear friend of mine who got this apron. The fabric has been in my stash for a long time, and I was worried that I didn't have enough of the blue to make an apron, but with a little Amy Butler inspiration, I was off to the races!


Little feet wanted to join me on my perch on the chair for photos.

Another birthday was for a little boy and it crossed my mind to make him a little hoodie like this one. It didn't get done quite in time, and then I figured that it was too cute and too much my son's size for us to give it away.

I did a little trick with the tails of the serger threads on this. I'd serged the hood to the body of the jacket and had long serger tails at the top of the zipper. The pattern called for twill tape to cover that seam, but I figured I could just top stitch the seam down. When I did, I tucked in the serger tails. That way there aren't any scraggly edges by his face. They wouldn't have been scratchy, just unsightly. And we don't want any of that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

p.s. your dear friend LOOOOVES her new apron!!! thanks sal! want to join us for a hike on monday?