Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Jeans


I'm still working on my Jalie jeans, but they are slow going.
Most of my sewing projects get done in small bits of time, 20 minutes stolen here and there, maybe 45 minutes during nap time. I've found that the jeans really require a lot more concentration.

The fly is done now and I'm feeling good about it.
I was worried that I didn't have the right size zipper, which freaked me out because I finally had carved out a good hour to work on it and then was disappointed that I hadn't bought a jeans zipper. I often don't buy all the supplies that a pattern calls for because I have such a huge amount of hand-me-down supplies and materials and random stuff.


As it turns out, I needn't have worried.
I had THIRTEEN metal zippers in my stash.
At least four were the right color and had the right size teeth.

So the zipper is in and the next step is to sew on the waistband, which includes cutting off the excess zipper at the top. I would have assumed that I could cut the excess off the bottom, but the pattern has you place the bottom zipper stop in just the right place so that the zipper stop takes all the stress, not the topstitching. Smart. And looking at my store-bought jeans now, I see they are done the same way.

Today I got a nice mention from Amy Karol on her blog Angry Chicken.
If you haven't seen it, I have a post over on the Bolt Blog regarding double needles.
And a post at Sew, Mama, Sew about tools for garment sewing.

It's been busy around here!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

gchaney said...

Congrats on the mention by Angry Chicken! The jeans look awesome. I need to make me up some since I hate all my jeans right now except 1 pr and they always seem to be dirty.

Martha said...

Congrats on conquering the blogosphere! I am impressed!

Amy said...

You're a machine, Sally. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're turning into one of those celebrity bloggers, aren't you? I'm going to have to start booking weekends at those mommy blogging conventions to get face time with you, eh? ;)

P.S. You're AWESOME.